Valuable advice was given to the ISO 26000 Post Publication Organization secretariat during the meeting held February 24. Around 25 stakeholders attended from almost as many countries. We discussed the latest developments regarding ISO 37001, ISO 20121, the systematic review of ISO 26000, the basic training material translated in to Spanish, the preliminary result of the 2016 PPO survey to the national standards bodies.
Over the past 4 years the national ISO member body in ISO, EOS, has published an ISO 26000 newsletters. More than 600 receive it and it goes to several countries. The January 2017 issues can be found here.
The basic training material has now been finalized thanks to the efforts of Adriana Rosenfeld and Karla Guerrera.
It is available here.
Part of the ISO 26000 work program is to develop linkage documents between ISO 26000 and other important standards/tools developed by organizations such as the OECD. So far linkage documents have been published in relation to UN Global Compact, GRI G4, IIRC and the UN SGDs.
Today ISO 26000 PPO published a new linkage document between ISO 26000 and the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises. Hopefully those using one of these two documents will be inspired to use also the other document. The linkage document is available here.
A detailed analysis of how ISO 26000 recommendations relate to the UN Sustainable development goals and targets has been developed and is available here.
UNI in Italy has published an interesting document after extensive stakeholder consultation.
This is how it has been described:
” “UNI Prassi di Riferimento” (best reference practice) UNI/PdR 18:2016 “Social responsibility in organizations – Guidance to the application of UNI ISO 26000”.
This document provides a number of elements that support the application of UNI ISO 26000, with focus on the aspects of materiality, accountability, and stakeholder engagement. It outlines operational solutions applicable to different types of organizations and provides with some practical examples concerning the stages of implementation for the organizational governance of social responsibility.
Therefore it is a document which outlines a set of operational guidelines for those organizations wishing to address the issue of social responsibility by applying the principles and addressing the core subjects described in UNI ISO 26000. It has been designed with the idea of tracing a sort of path, an ideal roadmap that leads, in a modular and progressive, way to a mature and conscious approach to social responsibility.”
More information can be found at the UNI-website.
From email sent to ISO 26000 Post Publication Organization advisory groups SAG and NIN
ISO 26000 related highlights
- As agreed in the PPO work plan, a Spanish translation of the basic training material has been developed. Thank you Karla Guerrero and Adriana Rosenfeld. Draft attached and if you have (SAG and NIN) have any final comments please let us know before end of next week.
- The OECD/26000 Linkage document is with ISO for final editing and then to be published as a PPO document. Again, thank you Hans Kröder for hard work on this. Next step is to level up this document to a ISO/OECD joint publication.
- The document presenting detailed linkages between ISO 26000 and the SDG goals and targets have been finalized and is currently with ISO for final editing, then to be published as a PPO document. Thank you Adriana R and Cristina Lopez (and me, for the introduction text…)
- Next document we have discussed is a linkage document between ISO 26000 and the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. Dante Pesce will support us but PPO needs a volunteer to coordinate the technical work.
- The systematic review of ISO 26000 was launched by ISO January 15 and will close June 5th. We hope you /your national mirror committee have seen it. Jorge Cajazeira is managing systematic review issues in the PPO.
- The ISO 26000 PPO survey 2016 closed and Eduardo Sao Thiago is compiling the results. Preliminary indications: Angola, Iceland, Canada, Montenegro, Russia, Rwanda, India (tbc), have now adopted ISO 26000, i.e. more than 80+ countries. I try to keep track of these at http://iso26000.info/countries . BTW: so far 30 copies of ISO 26000 for free have been requested and delivered to individuals in companies/organizations with lack of funds through this website.
- IWA 26 on how to use ISO 26000 in the ISO high level structure for management systems is moving along. Sweden and Tanzania are twinning and approximately 50 expertts have signed up. First draft to be sent out early next week and then the first workshop will be in Stockholm 9-10 March. Join us! More info: http://www.sis.se/IWA-on-ISO-26000
- Global Child Forum recently found that ISO 26000 was the second most known CSR/SR tool among the companies in Asia.
- ISO (DIS2) 20400 Sustainable Procurement – Guidance: likely there will no FDIS and the final editorial comments can be treated soon. France/Brazil has done a great job finalizing this complex standard and I am looking forward to the launch within a few months.
- ISO 37001 Anti-bribery management systems has been published and is now managed as part of TC309 Governance of Organizations which has the scope “Standardization in the field of governance relating to aspects of direction, control and accountability of organizations”
- ISO (DIS) 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System is to be published in December this year.
- Guide 82 Addressing sustainability in standards is based on ISO 26000 and from what I hear more and more stakeholders/standardizers are using it with ISO, which is great news.
- Almost 15,000 members in the ISO 26000 LinkedIn group now.
- Tina Bohlin (email@example.com) has taken over after Ludvig Hubendick as Secretary of ISO 26000 PPO. I have had meetings with her and I am convinced she will be a great PPO catalyzer. Ludvig will leave SIS and start working for the Green Part in Sweden by the end of this month. Perhaps you can drop him an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) before he leaves ? Personally I have emailed him a BIG thank you for all of his hard work and initiatives. He was key for the initiation of IWA 26 and the Stockholm conference. All throughout a great project leader with a personal passion for sustainability.
Swedish member to ISO, SIS, has initiated development of a quick ISO deliverable, IWA26, on how to apply ISO 26000 together with ISO high level structure on management system standards. All information is available at the project site:
“IWA26” will also be discussed at the LinkedIn group ISO 26000 and the hashtag #IWA26000
ISO has published a brochure that illustrates how users of ISO 26000 are guided in a way that contributes to the UN SDGs, the Sustainable Development Goals. It is available at:
Yesterday: PPO meeting with the stakeholder advisory group for ISO 26000. Some notes:
* One item on the agenda was the translation of basic training material into Spanish, soon finished.
* The OECD/ISO26000 linkage document is currently in its 14th draft and it is time to move forward, perhaps as a ISO 26000 PPO Protocol.
* SDG/26000 brochure will likely be ready within a week. We will bundle with the more detailed “cross-reference” asap, as it will be the PPO-appendix to the ISO-brochure.
* Next physical meeting: in Stockholm we decide preliminary that it could be a good idea to try to have the April 2017 meeting in Geneva in an ISO-setting as it is time for the systematic review (launch end of October 2016).